The festival will go on, rain or shine! Schedule of Events
50th Anniversary Community Festival
10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015
UNCSA campus, 1533 South Main St., Winston-Salem, N.C.
Free and open to the public.
The family-friendly day will include performances and presentations by each of the five arts schools, and tours of the new library and film production design facility. A special “kid zone” will feature face painting, a balloon artist, yard games, and more.
Refreshments will be available for sale by several local food truck vendors, and ice cream will be available for purchase.
Among the activities available in the specific arts schools are:
· Dance – creative movement workshop and open rehearsals for Fall Dance;
· Design and Production – Visual Arts character drawings, storybook sound project, tours of costume shop and wig and makeup studio, and finger casting;
· Drama – stage combat demonstrations, acting workshop, and Studio IV showcase sneak peek;
· Filmmaking – interactive camera demonstrations and screening of student films; and
· Music – opera performance, drumming circle, performances by the Cantata Singers and the Jazz Ensemble, and the Community Music School petting zoo and class demonstrations.
The festival will be the culmination of the school’s 50th Anniversary celebration, which started in 2013, the 50th anniversary of the school’s founding (1963).
“The School of the Arts students enrolled its first students on Sept. 5, 1965,” said 50th Anniversary Committee Co-Chair Jim DeCristo. “It seemed fitting that our Community Festival would wind up our birthday celebration.
“It’s also great way to say ‘thank you’ to the residents of Winston-Salem, the Piedmont Triad, and all of North Carolina for a half century of support. We hope everyone will come out and celebrate with us!”
Scenes from the 2014 Community Festival
Photos by Drew Davis