The 188-seat Agnes de Mille Theatre is a proscenium stage and is used primarily for dance and occasionally opera performances. It is located in the Workplace Building.
Crawford Hall is on the second floor of the Gray Building. A music concert hall, the 590-seat concert auditorium houses the Sarah Graham Kenan Organ (designed specifically for Crawford Hall by Charles Fisk), a Dowd harpsichord, a Hamburg Steinway, and a Baldwin concert grand.
Performance Place is the primary training facility for the School of Drama and School of Design & Production. Performance Place houses the 380-seat Proscenium Thrust Theatre and a 200-seat arena theatre, the Catawba Theatre, and a central lobby and box office featuring three ticket windows. The building is designed for noise control so both theatres can operate simultaneously without noise distractions.
The Gerald Freedman Theatre
The Gerald Freedman Theatre is a proscenium thrust theatre located on the upper ground level of Performance Place. It is similar in design to the Circle Repertory Theatre in New York and the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis. It is an optimal performance space for drama with 380 seats that surround, on three sides, a thrust stage. No seat is more than 36 feet away from the stage. The space is equipped with a projection bubble which enables full-stage, rear-screen projection.
The Catawba Theatre is located on the ground level of Performance Place. This arena stage is a small, flexible stage with seating for 200. There are seven movable sections of 25 (each section on casters) and can be moved to any configuration required for a production.
The Patrons Theatre opened in 2004 and is located on the main level of Performance Place. This arena theatre seats approximately 100 persons.
Cobb Rehearsal Studio
The Cobb Rehearsal Studio is the mirror image of the Patrons Theatre.
The ACE Exhibition Complex in the School of Filmmaking’s Studio Village houses three motion picture theatres. Two of the theatres hold 90 seats while the main theatre has a capacity of 300 seats. The theatres are designed to exhibit all formats of film and video – 16mm, 35mm and 70mm in Academy, widescreen and Cinemascope formats with mono, stereo or digital surround-sound.
The Stevens Center is wheelchair accessible and is equipped with a two-channel hearing assistance system. A total of 1,380 seats on two levels (Orchestra-852, Balcony-528) offer superb sightlines and exceptional acoustics.
The center uses a computer ticket system linking two selling locations and multiple incoming telephone lines for quick and easy ticket sales. It also has a state of the art computer lighting system for the stage and an extensive energy management system to ensure the comfort of both patron and performer.
Originally a 1929 silent movie theatre, the Stevens Center is a magnificently restored neoclassical theatre located in downtown Winston-Salem, N.C. Reopened in April 1983, the Stevens Center is the primary performance space for the University North Carolina School of the Arts and home to the Winston-Salem Symphony, Piedmont Opera Theatre, and several other local and state arts organizations.
The center has played host to the world premieres of Neil Simon’s “Lost In Yonkers,” winner of a Pulitzer Prize and four Tony awards, and “Jake’s Women,” a 19 performance sellout. Other performers/performances who have graced the stage over the years include Victor Borge, the Smothers Brothers, Bela Fleck, Alison Krauss, Mike Cross and Garrison Keillor.
If you are interested in purchasing tickets or hearing a list of upcoming events at UNCSA theatres please call the UNCSA Box Office at (336)721-1945. If you are interested in booking the Stevens Center for your event please call the Administrative line at (336)723-6320.
For more information please visit the Steven Center's Website.
The Judy and Bill Watson Chamber Music Hall is a 300-seat hall is complemented by a lobby, box office, green room and dressing rooms. It was designed by renowned acoustician Rein Pirn, whose credits include Spivey Hall in Atlanta.