Applicants to the high school program must have a minimum GPA of 2.3 (C+), have earned no more than one failing grade in the previous year’s work and no more than two failing grades in their overall coursework.
Audition/Interview Information and Dates
All applicants to UNC School of the Arts must audition or interview with arts faculty. Scheduled audition/interview dates for each arts department can be viewed by Following this link: Audition/Interview Dates
Please review this information before starting your application as you must enter a scheduled audition/interview date and location on your application.
NOTE Program Restrictions:
Dance high school program for Ballet is 9th through 12th grade. The Contemporary
Dance high school program is for 10th through 12th grade.
Drama high school program is 12th grade only.
Music high school program is 9th through 12th grade. However, the high school voice
program is only 11th through 12th grade.Visual Arts program is 11th or 12th grade.
Application Priority Dates
Applications must be received in the Office of Admissions by the dates listed below. Accompanying application documentation (see below for details) must be received in the Office of Admissions before the date of your audition or interview. Note: Click the arts school link to which you are applying for additional information about required documentation.
In order to facilitate a smooth admissions process and a speedy review of student files, students are encouraged to apply by a set of priority dates. Each priority date acts as a deadline by which you must apply in order to have an interview or audition granted during a given timeframe. Please review the interview/audition dates for your selected program to ensure you apply by one of the priority dates. Please be aware that each arts school has different audition and interview dates and that a school may not have audition or interview dates after a certain time.
The following information outlines the application process and documentation needed to ensure your application file is complete. Please read all information before starting your application. Your failure to provide complete, accurate, and truthful information on this application will be grounds to deny or withdraw your offer of admission or dismiss you after enrollment.
1) Application Form and Application Fee.
- Complete the application form in full.
- You have the option to pay the application fee online or to choose check or fee waiver. The application fee is non-refundable.
- $95 for U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents and $130 for Non-Resident Aliens. International applicants should not choose the credit card option. International applicants use http://uncsa.peertransfer.com/ to access Peer Transfer to pay your application fee.
- Do not send cash.
- If you choose to pay with a check or money order, it should include your full legal name on the check or money order made payable to UNCSA through a U.S. bank. Mail your payment along with your signed Application Agreement Statement to the following address:
Office of Admissions
UNC School of the Arts
1533 South Main Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
- If you are applying to 2 different arts schools within UNCSA you must complete a second application and submit a second application fee.
- Official sealed, signed or notarized copies of all secondary school academic records, that includes a list of courses in which the applicant is enrolled at the time of application must be submitted to the Office of Admissions. High School seniors who have taken classes at a college/university need to contact the Registrar Office at that school and have an official transcript sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Home Schooled applicants must provide documentation that the home school is recognized by the state of residency. Home schooled applicants must provide course titles and course descriptions for each year of home schooling, tests used and evaluation of knowledge that the applicant has completed the equivalent of the UNC System minimum course requirements. If the applicant has attended a traditional high school an official transcript from that school must be submitted.
3) Recommendation Letters
- 2 letters of recommendation are required of all applicants and are to be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
- 1 letter is to come from an arts instructor and 1 from an academic instructor.
- If not currently enrolled in school a letter may come from an employer, mentor, instructor, director, etc.
- Click here for the form
4) Mandatory Information Form
- Complete, sign and give the form to your guidance counselor or college advisor to complete, sign and mail to the Office of Admissions. If not currently enrolled in school the form may be completed by an employer, mentor or instructor who has known you for at least 1 year or more.
Note: Home schooled applicants must have someone other than a parent complete the form.
- Click here for the form
5) Artistic Statement
- A 2 page statement expressing your interests, goals and other information providing insight into your work. This document may be used if you are recommended for scholarship consideration. Please include your full name on the document.
- A document detailing artistic experience and educational objectives. Note: Some arts schools require additional information. Please visit the admissions link for each arts school for requirements.
Submitting your documents:
- All documents, except transcripts and test scores, can be uploaded by the applicant. Descriptions of documents and their download links can be found above.
- DO NOT upload any documents before having submitted the online application located on www.cfnc.org. All documents that are uploaded previous to your submitted application will be deleted.
- To upload your documents please use the online submission form which can be found here: Upload my application materials
- Applicants will need to request their high school to send the transcripts to UNCSA electronically. If your high school does not have the capability to send your transcript electronically, please request that your official transcript be mailed to the Office of Admissions. If you have credits from a college, please also supply your college transcript.
- Mail to:
Office of Admissions
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 South Main Street, Winston-Salem NC, 27127
Recommendation Letters and Mandatory Information Form:
- If your recommender wishes to upload the recommendation letter themselves please tell them to upload the document using this online submission form:
Recommender/Counselor Document Upload
- If your guidance counselor or college advisor wants to upload the Mandatory Information Form use the link above.